Winged bean or sigarilyas is a legume plant growing abundantly in the Philippines, Thailand, Sri Lanka, Indonesia and other Asian countries. According to Wikipedia, all parts of the winged bean are edible. The leaves, flowers, tubers and seeds can be used as ingredients in various dishes. Sigarilyas is good for our body because it has high protein content and a good source of vitamins A, C and iron. Aside from these, it is rich in calcium.
This dish, ginisang sigarilyas or sauteed winged beans is easy to prepare. All you need to do is to saute the winged beans with garlic, onion, tomato and slices of pork. One tip in buying winged beans --- select winged beans that are young, smooth and tender. Hope you try this recipe!
- 15 pcs winged bean, ends trimmed and sliced diagonally
- 1/2 cup slices of pork
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 tomato, quartered
- salt/fish sauce
- 1 cup water
- 2 tsp cooking oil
1. In a pan, heat oil and saute garlic, onion and tomato.
2. Add pork slices and cook until lightly browned. Stir in water
and fish sauce. Simmer for about 15 to 20 minutes.
3. Add winged bean or sigarilyas. Cook until tender.
4. Season with salt/fish sauce.