Chicken and malunggay soup is a simple soup dish. It is similar in taste to our chicken tinola except malunggay leaves are added instead of papaya and chili leaves. Some recipes of this dish include lemon grass and banana blossom. Since I wanted to keep it simple, I just added ginger and malunggay leaves.
For those who are not aware, malunggay leaves are rich in beta-carotene and vitamin C. Aside from these, it is also a good source of protein, potassium and iron. Since I am inspired by the health benefits of malunggay leaves, I will try to cook guinataang malunggay next time.
- 500 gms chicken, cut into serving pieces
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 thumb size ginger, sliced
- 2 cups malunggay leaves
- salt/fish sauce
- 4 cups water
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
1. In a pot, heat oil and saute garlic, onion and ginger.
2. Add the chicken pieces and cook until lightly browned.
3. Pour 4 cups water and simmer for 45 minutes. Season with salt/fish sauce.
4. Add the malunggay leaves and turn off the heat.
5. Serve hot.