According to Wikipilipinas, Chicken Pastel also known as Pastel de Pollo is a Filipino dish of Spanish origin. This dish is also known as Chicken Pot Pie. It usually consists of chicken, potatoes, hotdog, carrots, green peas with either evaporated milk or cream. There are several variations of this dish. Some add cheese, mushroom, butter, flour and a whole lot more. My version of chicken pastel is simple and easy to make. I added pineapple tidbits and raisins to enhance its flavor. Hope you try this at home!
- 500 gms chicken, cut into serving pieces
- 2 medium sized potatoes, quartered
- 1 carrot, quartered
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 pcs hotdog
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup pineapple tidbits
- 1 cup green peas
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced thinly
- salt/fish sauce
- black pepper
- 1 tsp cooking oil
1. In a large pan, heat oil and saute garlic and onion.
2. Add the chicken pieces and cook until lightly browned. Stir in fish sauce and water.
Cover and simmer until chicken becomes tender.
3. Add carrot, potatoes and hotdog. Simmer for a few minutes.
4. Add the red bell pepper, pineapple tidbits, raisins and evaporated milk.
5. Season with salt and pepper.