Sarciado refers to meat or seafood cooked in tomato sauce. Sarciadong manok or kinamatisang manok is a tomato-based dish which consists of chicken, tomatoes, green peas, potatoes, tomato paste, laurel leaves, peppercorns, garlic, onion and some seasoning. It is similar to other tomato-based dishes like afritada, mechado and others.
There are several variations of making this dish. Some pan fry the chicken pieces before adding it to the tomato paste mixture while others use tomato sauce instead of tomato paste. Meanwhile, some add a variety of spices like paprika, oregano, parsley and others.
- 500 gms chicken, cut into serving pieces
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 tomatoes, quartered
- 3 potatoes, quartered
- 1 cup green peas
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tsp peppercorns
- 2 pcs laurel leaves
- 2 tsp cooking oil
- 1 cup water
- salt/fish sauce
1. In a large pan, heat oil and saute garlic, onion and tomatoes.
2. Add chicken and cook until lightly browned. Stir in fish sauce/salt
and water. Simmer for 30 minutes.
3. Add tomato sauce, peppercorns and laurel leaves.
4. Add potatoes and green peas. Cook until tender.